HI! I'm Alex Smith,I'm a 28 year old illustrator, and this is my sketch blog. I started Sketch Party 2000 in April of 2007 with no real goals in mind. Soon after, it evolved into a daily ritual. I posted a sketch, photo, film, or some other piece of my art every day for a year. Somewhere in the middle of that year I went back to school, and if you start at the beginning and move toward the current entries you should be able to see that I paid attention in class. I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I enjoy posting them, don't let this be your last visit. Updated Monday, Wednesday and Friday (and any other time I feel like it).

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Entry 523 (69): Storm W.I.P

For today's sketch, I thought you might be interested in how I build a drawing up in Photoshop. I start with reference material: photos, costume reference from comics (if it happens to be a comic character like Storm here), other artists renderings, etc. I then start to roughly scratch out the features, building them slightly more and more detailed in blue. The red layer is for clothing and sometimes hair, this helps me see how they will interact with the figure without just blending back into the rest of the drawing. Finally I either start digitally inking on a new black layer in Photoshop or print it out (all in light blue) and ink it by hand. then I digitally add the shading or color. Finished version tomorrow :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

super cool. i appreciate the prossces.

Anonymous said...

by which, of course, i mean process.

Axel said...

so you don't appreciate the prossces? They are disappointed.